Thread: large Keris
View Single Post
Old 14th October 2013, 08:39 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

No, this false pamor would probably not have been done for any other reason but to make the keris more attractive as a souvenir, as you say David, not for the local market, but for the visitors. In fact, I feel that a close examination would show that this blade might have a pamor sanak. In the close up I think I can see one area of blade where there is a distinct separation between core and outer layers, so it just might have outer layers of plain iron, which by their nature would have needed to be welded and folded, which technically becomes pamor sanak.

I don't think we can call this type of keris a dance keris. Yeah, sure, this type or any other type might be used as a dance prop, but that is not its purpose. In fact, in Bali these days a lot of Balinese wear Javanese keris. You see the people whose job it is to keep order in public gatherings wearing low quality Javanese gayamans, I'd guess these are owned by the local banjar or banjars and given to these Harmony Keepers for the duration of the event.

For the future of this blade I'm with Jean & David:- get rid of the lies and let it be itself.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote