View Single Post
Old 17th May 2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Federico

Nice kris, was eyeing it myself, but Ebay has definitely become much harder to score stuff from without spending $$$. A couple recommendations. When it comes to putting the hilt back on, try pitch instead of a modern epoxy. Its fairly strong, but on the plus side easily removable if further repairs need to be done. Here is what I will normally do for pieces that arrive in ratty condition. I will clean the blade with acetone, which will remove any old dirt and grease. For wood parts, I will clean with a mild solution of warm water and soap (I stress mild). Usually with a sponge. After cleaning, any further blemishes in the wood can be worked on with #0000 steel wool. It is fine enough not to damamge the finish (if you are careful), but will remove alot of the gunk that settles on top of the finish over the years. If your going to etch the blade anyways, try a cleaning etch first with lemon juice to remove old rust. Anyways, the wood of the scabbard looks rough and dry, after cleaning I would suggest an oil solution to rejuvinate the wood. Staining changes the color too much (IMHO) and will age funny, not to mention most stains will do nothing to renourish the dry wood. A little oil (I use a linseed/tung/turpentine mix myself) will add vitality and strength to the wood, and will darken it slightly. However, for me the biggest plus is that it ages properly.

Anyways, as for age, agree with Bill. 150+ sounds good to me.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote