View Single Post
Old 4th November 2008, 11:25 AM   #14
Jean B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hello Jean,
While this sabre has an unusually parabolic blade, I am wondering if this might have been for an officer of one of the more exotic units as mentioned. It does appear that the sword has experienced a degree of renewal judging by the hilt condition, but the blade itself seems an authentic Chatellerault piece. Were there such curved blades issued in any instances with the French army which might have been requested specifically by an officer in custom order as you have noted, as seems to have occurred on occasion with British officers?

Another detail that arouses curiosity is the rounded tip on the blade. On another thread in discussing this feature on a 'walloon' sword also with rounded tip, I had noted this often appeared on German made blades of 17th and into 18th century. It is my impression these were intended for the slashing cut, though I am unclear on how commonly this particular type point was used and the exact period. Most of the examples I have seen were in the period noted.

Once again, its great having you here!!!

All best regards,
Jim
Hello Jim,

I don't think this could be a special officer sword.
Officer's swords are private property and should not bear rack number on the hilt like this one
Numbers on the hilt are stamped in the regiments when the sword is issued to troopers for the service. The cross out number and the second number show that it was first isued in a regiment, came back in the artillery stores, and was reissued again. This happens only for regulation trooper swords and clearly this curvature is not regulation, I never saw any of them in documents. The only explanation is that the sword was curved after its normal regulation life.
Why and when it was done will remain a mystery, I am afraid.
If Manuel can give a close up of the poinçons on the hilt, or a description, I can check if the hilt date match the blade.

Furthermore, this parabolic blade doesn't fit the fashion of the period. During this period there was an inclination for straight swords. Many non regulation swords have a straight blade, medaillon style hilt (like the Zouave pattern) or multiple branches steel hilt wich finally gave birth to the regulation infantry pattern 1882.

When some romantic officers still wanted an highly curved blade sword, they sticked with the classic "sabre à l'orientale" with a wide flat decorated blade and only high rank officers could take the liberty to wear this kind of extravagant "sabre à l'orientale".
Note also that such highly curved blade needs a special scabbard with a slid on the side to allow sheathing.

Thank you for your warm welcome, but I am afraid I do not visit forums often anymore. However, feel free to drop me an email if you feel I can help.

All the best,
Jean
Jean B. is offline   Reply With Quote