Thread: Keris Selit
View Single Post
Old 15th April 2018, 07:07 PM   #37
Gustav

Hello Kai;

Quote:

There do appear to be some PS variants; while short blades tend to be more stout, I'm not convinced that this really represents a PS style though. However, it clearly exhibits northern Malay features and it may be a moot point what name to tag on it...
One of the most characteristic, distinctive features for a PS is the central ridge (Odo-Odo), continued on Gonjo. It is present. Also Greneng on my blade is absolutely typical for PS.

Quote:
Do you associate monosteel in Malayan keris with the WW2 period and later? I'd expect them to have access to monosteel quite a lot earlier and utilize it for keris, too.
I own about 10 Peninsular blades and have seen some more. They are older ones; for two, including this KS, I am not so sure and would accept period around WWII as a possible time frame of making. These are the latest ones. None of my blades or old (pre-WWII) blades I have seen, are made from mono-steel. My impression until now is, that, even if mono-steel was used for tools already in 19th cent., Keris blades still would be made from laminated material.

Quote:
Like I emailed you a while back, I wouldn't be surprised to find warangan on (untouched) antique blades from pretty much all over the archipelago (including the northern Malay region).
I have never had or expressed a contrary oppinion, au contraire.

Quote:
Fruit juices also darken steel/etc. though - what criteria speak for warangan, specifically?
I am sure you have experienced many times - after some time in juice the blade turns deep black in some places and these places start "to bleed" while scrubbing the blade.

Quote:
I guess I see what you mean - could this possibly be shear steel? This also can exhibit sham-like internal structure resembling crucible steel.
Perhaps. It's something I haven't seen before (except for the Gonjo).

Last edited by Gustav; 15th April 2018 at 07:28 PM.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote