View Single Post
Old 30th September 2017, 06:57 PM   #9
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Stu.

WOW!!! That's a big one !!! I would guess Moroccan or Algerian, probably Moroccan.
One of the first things I noticed was that it was made with carrying rings. At first, I thought it might be used to carry some type of liquid (wine ? LOL) But the stopper would be the wrong design for that. Liquid was carried in wood containers or leather boas. And, there appears to be no flat on the bottom of the flask to stand upright on a table or flat surface. So, Hmmmm.
I do remember reading somewhere in my reference material that the Ottomans would assign specific individuals to carry the larger containers of bulk powder to refill the other troops flasks while on campaign. In Europe and North America large, full-size steer horns were used (called storage horns) to store the powder from the wood transport barrels. Ultimately for the same purpose.
This flask, to me, looks like it was made maybe in the early 20th Century (?)
There sure is a lot of hand work in this flask. It was made to carry something, but I don't know what. LOL But again, the lack of a flat bottom and the carrying rings tells me it was designed for shoulder suspension or horse/camel carry. It's certainly attractive and would look great on display.

Stu: Is there any evidence of black powder ?

Rick
Hi Rick,
Not for liquid IMHO. As you say, liquid was usually in either wooden or leather containers.
Evidence of powder? Maybe..... as there is a lump of something loose inside the flask, of what looks to me to be powder which has got damp and gone solid. Dark grey colour, but I am not going to risk trying to break it down as friction can ignite it if indeed it IS powder. Don't see what else it could be.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote