View Single Post
Old 21st January 2019, 05:21 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Sirek, nice keris and a good restoration job.
Frankly i am not sure anyone has convincingly tied particular styles of sheaths, and certain not blades, to Banjarmasin. I have yet to see strong evidence that they had an indigenous keris culture and it seems that most blades, and possibly nicer sheaths, were imported. The gold wash hilts covered with jewels seem to be the one signature style to this area, but even that seems to be mostly in the way these hilts are decorated, not in the intrinsic form. Underneath the gold and jewels we still tend to see hilt styles that were established in other areas. I have seen this planar style of your hilt before, but from my surveys it seems less popular than the Burung styles know in Sumatra (sans gold and jewels of course).
But your ensemble at least gives the impression of being fairly original and complete. I at least get the impression that these parts have been together for sometime. Your worngko seems most like the horn one shown in your second link, though it does not seem that members there came to any real consensus on its origins.
The shape and style of your hilt seem to follow this form with carved foliage instead of the gold wash and jewels. Also much like this ivory (?) hilt that was attributed to Borneo.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=95318
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote