View Single Post
Old 14th June 2015, 11:59 PM   #7
kronckew

- acorns are OK too.

p.s. the dutch hembrug klewang has a blade about 63.5 cm. (25 in.) which is the same as my solingen one. i gather they were developed to replace the longer european swords which were not doing well in the jungle against the shorter swords of the insurgents they were fighting.

so this new one is a few inches longer at 28. which is my size. i remember being measured for my USCG officer's sword which was 28, just long enough so i did not hit the ground saluting during parades. saw someone who mixed his sword with his taller room mates once during a pass in review. he hit the ground and the blade snapped off. he finished going past the admiral with just the hilt and an invisible sword his partner with the too short version managed to spear his dress hat as he went to bring the hilt to his lips in the start of the flourish. it did not turn out well for them two, but it was funny. i do always remember i take a 28 tho.

sadly, most military sword blades now are stainless parade models, dull & brittle. i bought one with a proper rayskin grip covering (the std. ones are imitaion in plastic) and aproper high carbon steel blade that passes the british proof test & is sharpened correctly, halfway down the blade & six in. on the false edge (which is thus no longer 'false').

Last edited by kronckew; 15th June 2015 at 12:23 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote