View Single Post
Old 25th October 2011, 04:51 PM   #96
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Now we are getting back to some sort of sensibility at last. Thanks Jim, TVV, and Lofty. Of course there was wide spread use of trade blades throughout the colonial territories, including Oman. I will now show the full blade with the mark, which by the way came from Ibrahiim himself, and was described by him as a curved Kattara. So that rather blows the theory that the Omanis did not use trade blades, but made their own.

Salaams,
I am referring to one specific sword style "The straight 17thC Omani Kattara" which I will attempt to show is home grown not imported though hybrids will exist; infact I have even seen Wootz bladed Omani Kattara on the forum.. There are bound to be a few one- offs but I am concerned with the Omani Kattara proper which I believe originates in RAK. RAS AL KHAIMAH.
The weapon you display is a Sayf. It appears to be a European imported trade blade. It carries the blade marks now known to be used in RAK amongst many others such as the Crown Lion Stars and God Is Great insignia. This is an Omani Sayf made or constructed in RAK.

Regards,
Ibrahiim.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote