Thread: Why Post?
View Single Post
Old 24th June 2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Why Post?

I often notice the number of views on threads vs. the number of posts, and that in many cases, posts are placed almost apologetically, as if the information being shared is somehow inadequate.

This is emphatically NOT the case.

As most here know, I have written on these forums for many years, and it is also well known that I am seldom brief. I know that many perceive my writing in different ways, anywhere from erudition (not) to thoughts these are hyperinflated 'pronouncements' , and thankfully to those of you who have kindly acknowledged my work as worthwhile and helpful information. This is how it has always been intended. I enjoy spending hours and often longer in pursuing answers to discussions and questions at hand, not necessarily to prove I am overly knowledgable, but to learn. I typically dont know the material at the outset, but simply use whatever resources I can to put together material which I very much enjoy sharing. I always look forward to being corrected as well, as I know that no matter how intensely I research something, misperception or errors, even inadvertant omissions are inevitable. I cannot possibly describe how much I have learned from the many well supported opposing views and rebuttals to gentle corrections I have experienced through the years.

What I have always considered the wonder of these forums is those who consistantly write and share thier knowledge, mostly from experience in handling actual examples and specializing in certain fields. Many collect and study a number of weapon forms, many are entirely eclectic, but regardless often deeply engage in learning about the items they acquire. Some study esoteric areas that few specialize in, and openly share new arrivals. The postings of various museums and thier holdings are wonderful, as those of us who may never reach those places have the opportunity to enjoy and admire them.

As always, I am so profoundly grateful to all of you here who are constantly on the threads, and sharing your amazing collections and knowledge. For me personally it is fantastic as an expatriate collector to be able to vicariously experience the wonderful arms and armour shared here. As an always obsessed researcher I always look forward to discussions and bringing in new material. My writing consists only of study of information available as I have no weapons or collection at hand, only the books and notes that travel with me.

For those of you out there reading, and I know there are many, as you read the threads and posts, please join in, ask questions, share any information you can, no matter how inconsequential you think it might be. The idea is to share thoughts,ideas, observations, opinions . These forums are entirely global, and we need to know of resources in many languages and countries.

My hope is that this will serve not only as a most sincere thank you to all of the members and staff who have done so much to make our forums successful, but as an invitation for the readers out there to come in with us.
These threads are intended to stand as archived material to benefit collectors, scholars and anyone involved with arms and armour, and to encourage participation in advancing the study of them.

With all very best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 25th June 2009 at 12:31 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote