View Single Post
Old 1st December 2016, 06:11 AM   #30
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

After 1948 all traditional silver items plunged in quality in Yemen. The real expert silver smiths almost all left the country...Since then vast numbers of Swords with Rhino Hilts were imported from Ethiopia as has been said ......These were stripped off and used on Jambia. Regarding the hilt at #1 it looks like cow horn but as with all photos it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference but shall we say the hilt is not Rhino. Being either wood ...usually the cheapest or cowhorn just as cheap marks the Jambia in the lower rung in quality. Because of the vast amount of Rhino floating about from the cheaply imported Ethiopian swords huge numbers of weapons were made with Rhino Hilts.

In Yemen there are a number of sources that provide Rhino Horn... Recycled Jambia hilts, Hilts from Ethiopian swords, imported Rhino horn. Tourist weapons usually have cheap hilts...That doesn't mean all tourists only buy cheap Jambias...

In Oman Rhino Hilts have a quality quotient all of their own though nowadays among the thousands of Khanjars I have seen I see a lot of high density plastic hilts thus saving the species somewhat...Old Rhino Hilts are recycled and fetch a premium. Occasionally I see nice wooden hilts of Sandalwood which are expensive...but a lot less than Rhino... The cheap stuff has cow or bullhorn and the very cheap items have plain wood...

Ariel they are weapons! It is traditional in Yemen for all the men to chew Ghat...after about midday you could even say that the entire male population is some what drunk on the stuff although I slightly exaggerate...but the net effect is that these weapons do get pulled in anger.. Strong laws in Oman usually prevent this with huge penalties applied simply because the blade is such a dangerous one.

I would urge people to look beyond books and get out there and handle the goods and speak to the dealers . A great place to learn is an Arabian Souk. I placed a few pictures of Souks of Oman...in Miscellaneous Forum...

Please See http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15083 at#1 picture 3 is a typical display of Jambia where there are 50 or more on the wall...and hundreds more in the store...all tourist items. All very similar to the Jambia under scrutiny here...

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st December 2016 at 06:30 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote