View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:56 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Take Great Care using anti rust solutions !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lander
Thank you as always for the enlightening context Ibrahiim. I'm continuing to look through coat of arms to find a match, but so far no luck other than the "Pecke" one. I've attached a photo of those arms. While the coat itself is similar, the supporters and helmet and crown are all different. I'm inclined to think it's just coincidence. I think if I clean the blade up more I can see more details which may shed more light on matters, but I'm hesitant to remove all the remaining patina for aesthetic reasons.

Also confusing me is that the helmet above the coat of arms. It's pointing straight forward and it has a crown on it. The crest above it is a demi-lion above it carrying a scepter of some sort. I read only kings could use that kind of helmet and crown on their coats. But I've gone through all the English, French and Scottish coats of arms I can find and none of them look remotely similar.

On the other hand I've read that these rules about who could use what kind of helmet or crown were not strictly enforced and some rules were just made up by later historians.

One more question - it looks like the crest and the decoration on the other side were plated in some yellowish metal, I assume copper or bronze. You can see it fairly well in the pictures I posted. Was this a common technique, or does it narrow down the age of the sword? The thistles/vines don't appear to have the same embellishment.

Salaams You are doing a very good clean up job getting rid of the encrusted and active rust...I suggest you continue whatever process it is that you are using.. Simply repeat the action and see how that goes. A good idea is to build a set of cleaning measures for example the hot soapy water immediate action ... then such remedies as coke cola, tomato paste, vinegar, pineapple juice etc and put them into order weakest first. Always start with the weakest solution...until you get good at using one of the more strong ones...and dont use hot solutions til you are very good at it... if ever.

Please lets have a look at the improved item... its a great thread... well done. I have checked about every Scottish heraldic structure under the sun... but it can be any related thing... The Scotish/Canadian Ladies Knitting Circle for example (its not by the way) but you get my drift...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.[B]
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote