View Single Post
Old 8th October 2015, 11:08 AM   #1
Aslan Paladin

Default Unusual Hybrid Moro-Visayan Tenegre Sword?

Greetings gentlemen,

I am a long-time lurker who has just recently decided to join in as a member and this is my first post. I have been collecting Islamic arms and armor since 2011 and have amassed a modest collection.

I have obtained early this year a sword which I think is a tenegre but with a silver ferrule which is usually seen in barongs. It also has an intricately detailed and unusually realistic dragon or sea monster hilt (bakunawa?) made of water buffalo horn. The over-all length of the sword is about 32 inches with a blade length of 25 inches ending in a clipped point. The spine of the blade measures 1 cm. at its thickest point. I could also see some linear lamination patterns on the blade. The blade is seated into its hilt with what appears to be brown pitch or resin. I would like to ask your opinion as to its probable age and whether it is an all original assembled sword or a sword that has had a later marriage of different parts. The attached images are from the auction site where I purchased the sword.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aslan Paladin; 9th October 2015 at 06:02 AM.
Aslan Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote