View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2006, 05:53 PM   #1
Freddy

Question Oriental paper knife

Yesterday, I received this small knife. I found it on ebay.belgium where it was advertised as : coupe-papier oriental (oriental paper knife).

The picture was bad, so I asked for some more pictures. These were of the same quality, but in one of them I could see that the blade was fairly thick. So I decided to go for it.....and I got it.

When I opened the package, I was surprised to find a small knife with horn handle and sheath. It's not new, as the horn has some damage. The sheath is held together by two piece of plaited rattan binding.
Most striking was the iron blade. It's 13,8 cm long and has a thick blade, measuring 6 mm near the hilt. The blade is sharp on one side.

Total length : 23 cm

My guess is that it's a woman's knife. I could be easily concealed in her clothes. It's small enough.

But upon examining the piece closer, I saw that the sheath had some carving. To my surprise, I could recognize some kind of Dayak type carving.

Can anyone help me in determining this piece ? Could it be from Borneo (and from the Dayak).
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote