View Single Post
Old 19th May 2017, 11:26 AM   #2
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Fernando,

Quote:
I’m sharing photos of a twist-core Moro Kris/Kalis that I recently repatriated to the Philippines. It had been part of the collection of a European gentleman who once lived in the islands and went back to his homeland, Austria in the 1980s.
I'm relieved to hear that this kris made it safely into the Philippines, finally! Did you got any info where and when this piece was picked up by the former owner?

Quote:
Robert Cato in his book Moro Swords (1996) claimed that such design represented typical 18th century examples, and thus the moniker "archaic" Moro kris. There are also claims that the angle at the end of the dividing line that separate the blade and gangya is indicative of the age of the blade. However, both are unsubstantiated claims.
Congrats, it definitely is a sweet twistcore kris! I'd definitely be tempted to etch it to enhance the pamor!

The extant examples seem to support the notion that the so-called archaic kalis were indeed among the very early types reaching (or being developed in) the Bangsamoro region. The exact time frame is still not established with a tendency to push it back in time, possibly the 17th century. However, it would be really great to establish some supporting evidence.

Quote:
I do not nonetheless discount their possibility and I hope that definitive evidence to prove the claims will eventually be discovered. At the moment all that is certain is that this is a rare example of the Moro kalis/kris.
Yes, it certainly is rare to see well-preserved, complete examples!

I have a hunch that your specimen is not one of the really early examples though and may originate from the 19th century: The angled separation line is longer than in the oldest pieces and also the decorative motifs at the base of the blade make me believe so; there seems to have been a revival of the archaic style (if it ever went of of fashion) during that period.

BTW, what are the dimensions of this piece?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote