View Single Post
Old 5th June 2013, 09:41 AM   #50
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
MY KNOWLEGE IN THIS FIELD IS ONLY AS DEEP AS WHAT I HAVE READ IN THIS THREAD, SO PARDON ANY CONJECTURE OR SILLY COMMENTS I MAY MAKE.
IT APPEARS TO ME THE INTRODUCTION OF THE FELXABLE DANCE SWORD INTO PARADE USE CAME QUICKELY. NO DOUBT IN EARLIER TIMES WARRIORS CARRIED THEIR WAR SWORDS IN SUCH PROCESSIONS. TO GET A OLD WARRIOR TO LEAVE HIS CHERISHED WAR SWORD BEHIND WOULD NOT BE EASY OR POPULAR. TO APPEAR IN A PROCESSION BEFORE YOUR RULER WITHOUT YOUR SWORD OR NOT TO GO AT ALL WOULD NO DOUBT BRING DISHONOR OR WORSE.
THIS LEADS ME TO SUSPECT A ROYAL EDICT WAS THE CAUSE FOR THE RAPID CHANGE. WHERE WOULD A WISE RULER GET SUCH AN IDEA? HE KNEW HIS PEOPLE WOULD NOT LIKE TO APPEAR BEFORE HIM IN TRADITIONAL PROCESSIONS WITH NO SWORD BUT FOR SOME REASON WANTED TO CHANGE THE TRADITION WITHOUT TOO MUCH TROUBLE. POSSIBLE REASONS FOR THE CHANGE 1. TO STOP FATAL FIGHTS AMONG WARRIORS 2 . SECURITY FROM ASSINATION.
PERHAPS FLEXABLE SWORDS WERE USED IN THEATRE SUCH A WOBBLY FLEXABLE SWORD WOULD BE VERY GOOD IN COMEDY. PERHAPS PERFORMERS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE REAL WEAPONS WHEN PERFORMING BEFORE RULERS. THE RULER MAY HAVE SEEN THIS AND SAW A WAY TO PASS HIS EDICT REQUIRING EVERY PARTICIPANT TO HAVE SUCH A SWORD HE MAY EVEN HAVE HAD SOME MADE TO HIS ORDER TO GIVE AS PRESENTS TO HIGH RANKING MEN OR PERHAPS TO ENTIRE UNITS SO AS TO NOT LOSE THEIR SUPPORT OR FAVOR. THIS WOULD ASSURE EVERY ONE WOULD WANT SUCH A SWORD FOR THE PROCESSIONS AND NO DOUBT LEAD TO A COMPETICIAN OF SHOWMANSHIP SUCH AS BUZZING, THROWING AND FIGHTING WITH THE OBJECT OF ONLY CUTTING YOUR OPONENTS THUMB.
CONJECTURE MY SPECIALITY BUT PERHAPS IT MAY GIVE A DIRECTION TO SEARCH IN AS ROYAL RECORDS ARE LIKELY TO BE VAST IN NUMBERS. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR QUEST.
Salaams VANDOO That is exactly what happenend when the new (current)Dynasty developed the idea in about 1744 and according to the Museum sources, thus, it became the celebrated design for the dancing sword and for pageants and march past...never for fighting... though the tribes dont exactly march.. they sort of saunter and dance past en masse before the ruler with great pomp throwing their swords in the air and shimmering their blades with clever wrist flicking actions (something that stiff sword blades cannot do...) Throwing stiff swords in the air would be counter produtive to the population count!! The mimic sword fight contest would also be a bit dodgey with a stiff blade as the idea is to score the winning point by touching the opponents thumb on his shield hand ... not sawing off his hand/ arm / fingers..into the bargain ! The Omani Sayf.. The Omani straight dancing and pageants only sword entered the Omani Funoon .. the great traditional enactment reflecting the history of Oman and the sword was honoured by being sharpened on both edges like its predecessor The Omani Battle Sword.. and further enhanced by the provision of the Terrs Battle Shield. (Buckler).

Thank you for your excellent post.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.