View Single Post
Old 4th December 2007, 06:34 PM   #30
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

David, I have been rereading your posts of late, and very much enjoy your detailed and well explained perceptions on the rapier, fencing as well as possible applications in India! Extremely well written and primarily right on target, and the exception with the use of the pata has been noted and discussed. I think for the pata, it would depend on which region of India and which tribal group was using them would determine more on the manner of use. As noted, many of the highly flexed and more spatulate point blades were of course for slashing cuts. I very much like the graphics you have used to demonstrate the construction alignment suggesting probable manners of use.

What you have noted on the use of the rapier is impressively well said, and as you have noted, there were indeed a great deal of 'theatrics' involved with the swordplay of the rapier. This of course carried itself perfectly into Hollywood, where such combat was exaggerated profoundly. I recall many years ago in my very limited exposure to fencing, where courses in 'stage combat' were specifically designed for this. As you have explained, actual combat with the rapier was based on feints, distraction and as best exemplified in the complexities of Destreza, many of these moves were composed with geometric and mathematical precision.
Just as in the fabled "Wild West" ,one having actually been there would have likely been disappointed by actual conflicts, which were primarily simple and mundane events rather than the dramatic gunfights in movies, the duels and sword combat with these weapons was mostly much the same. It is of course the writers and poets that embellish such matters, and while we are richer for it in our entertainment and literature, it does little for serious study of these weapons.

The interesting thrusting weapon that Jens has brought up with the mail piercing blade brings up some compelling thoughts on this firangi, and it does seem plausible the rapier blade was mounted in firangi hilt much in the same manner as the tulwar hilt. As Olikara has added the example in the Indian museum, it seems that the form was decidely present. Although the khanda hilt typically is associated with Mahratta and eventually Rajput and Sikh use, these blades could well have been intended for the penetration action suggested, as more probably with the Rajputs who did employ such thrusting. This is not to say the Mahrattas might not have adapted to combat techniques as required though.

The narrow thrusting blades used in Europe that Jens has mentioned were termed as he has noted in German forms, and more commonly known elsewhere as the 'estoc', and these were often carried under the horsemans leg scabbarded from the saddle. These were long blades, and used for combat on foot as were the heavier pallasches often carried in the same manner (see Rembrandts "Polish Rider" painting).
While Muslim warriors typically used sabres with drawcut and slashing following the development of the sabre and distinctly disfavored the thrust, examples of Islamic rapiers known as the 'mec' did exist (see Yucel).

I think we can presume here that the idea of use of this firangi by a European individual no longer seems plausible, and that it was indeed intended for use by someone there such as noted. While it has been well shown that these thin blades were apparantly intended for use in combat, it remains that an official could well have wished to emulate the weapons seen worn by the Europeans. Not all individuals would have required elaborate decoration nor been able to afford it, such as civil officials etc. not necessarily of station to appear in court atmosphere.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote