View Single Post
Old 10th March 2007, 04:14 PM   #14
Matt Branch

Default A response to 1 of my many e-mails to museums.

I thought I would post this for information sake.
Regards
Matt

Curator

San Jacinto Museum of History

One Monument Circle

La Porte (Houston), TX 77571

Dear Matt-

I have done some research based off of the swords we have in our collections, and the style is very similar to an 1820s sword (37.5” long) we have in our collection that has floral etchings and crosshatching on both sides of blade. It is inscribed: "Viva El imper-io Mexicano" (Inscription refers to Iturbide's Empire, 1822-1823.) The handgrip of the hilt is made of wood and is wrapped in heavy cord and covered with leather. The pommel is of shallow cup design and the backstrap and knucklebow are made of strips of steel with two branches terminating in a an S-shaped quillon. I know the picture is… lacking, but our photographer is booked solid through May (this is our busiest time of the year and she is only in once every other week.)

We also have a mid-century (2011.a-b) Mexican army sword and sheath with a very slightly curved blade with sharp true edge and false edge. It has an etched floral design with a Mexican eagle and snake mid-blade on both faces. It has some sort of reptile skin (may be shark skin—hard to tell due to condition) grip wrapped in brass bands. It also has a brass back strap, pommel, branched knuckle bow, and scrolled quillion. There is a Mexican eagle and snake on the guard with the inside half of guard hinged to fold flat.

In other words, we have similar weapons with as much (or in the case of the second one) more “work” on the blade, but nothing exactly like yours. We have a huge Spanish language archive, but, unfortunately no archivist to process it so I am unable to know if there is anything I there that can help you. When I need help with things like this, I tend to go to private dealers in my area—unfortunately, they charge for their opinion to the public (and they are not cheap.)

I am sorry I can not be of more help.

-Liz

Liz sent me two photos in her e-mail, they are very small so I resized them, this is the best I can get them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Matt Branch; 10th March 2007 at 11:09 PM.
Matt Branch is offline   Reply With Quote