View Single Post
Old 7th June 2017, 05:55 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent entries Kubur!!!
While often 'Hollywood' and the movie industry is decried for their lack of authenticity and inaccuracy in films, there were many where at least a modicum of authenticity was portrayed.
* In an interesting aside, conversely, a film maker once accompanied Pancho Villa in Mexico and was permitted to film an actual 'charge' into combat. It seems he did not wish to use the footage, as it was " not realistic enough!!!".

Still, movies such as you mentioned, "Taras Bulba", "Man Who Would be King" and so many others were always my favorites.
I recall many years back, I wanted to watch "Gunga Din" for the zillionth time and invited my wife to join. She said, "okay.....but don't wear the pith helmet this time......you're scaring the cats!".

My whole entry into the 'sword collecting syndrome' (many many moons ago) was almost certainly the result of one too many "Zorro" movies!!

On the other hand, in movies, it is fun to watch for those 'zingers', like the Ottoman item in the Viking film. I have had to bite my lip many times to avoid being cashiered by my wife for comments disrupting the viewing.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote