Thread: Kaskara opinion
View Single Post
Old 30th November 2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Iain!
In going through notes and references to regain perspective on the complexities associated with these North African broadswords I had forgotten Bivar, an absolutely key reference. His notes regarding the style of thuluth on some of the blades there and probable origins from Mamlukes to the east in Nilotic Sudan are key to the idea of Sennar for plausible provenance of these distinct examples of kaskara. There are of course many other arms which carry the thuluth such as yataghans, knives, axes, throwing knives and of course the well known haladie, the dual bladed knife. It is well established that this apparantly Rajput origined weapon which derived or developed along with the madu madu later became associated with Syria (Stone). Syria of course was along with Egypt, Mamluk ruled, and this was another location where thuluth was well known on materials.

It does seem that arms entering through the Suakin port into the Sennar entrepot would provide a distinctly plausible provenance for these thuluth covered arms.
The next big question would be concerning the triple fuller blades on these presumed 'Sennar' blades, which are distinctly like thier takouba counterparts to the west. Rodd calls these 'Masri' (=Egyptian) but regards them as from the north in Tuareg parlance. I have seen these type blades on Indian pata, with the cosmological symbols previously discussed (I have one well worn example) which suggests these blades likely came from trade sources and probably in the mid to late 18th century. This blade does not have the dukari, so the suggestion would be that these blades probably came out of Germany? early and entered Red Sea trade routes. This would likely include Oman via thier entrepots as well.

As these blades entered trade routes, later when the trade supplies diminished during intensification of colonial presence, it would seem that native smiths began to duplicate these blades. The examples of early blades of this form gradually became dramatically reprofiled through constant sharpening with rugged methods in the Sahara, and the rounded point corresponded to the swordsmanship style which focused on slashing. The thrust was clearly associated with far more advanced fencing techniques, where slashing and chopping are simpler in basic combat, especially when mounted.

I very much agree on the reflection on the apparant integration in degree of the Fulani and Hausa after the jihads in the early 19th c. and while the Fulani were pastoral, the merchant class Hausa received far more renown obviously because they became so widely represented and known. This was again the reason why the Hausa language became largely a lingua francia, as it was essential in trade, the true driving force in cultural diffusion. I have always though the Hausa were blacksmiths making these blades, but I am beginning to think it was them as traders marketing them. This may well have been the reason behind Briggs attribution, as well as to the Mandingo, who controlled trade routes in Mali around Timbuctoo. Because they were often seen with these type of swords, probably among others, he likely assumed they were also users of them.

Just more theory, but thought I would sound it out here, and as always very much appreciate thoughts and feedback.

All the best,
Jim