Thread: Kaskara opinion
View Single Post
Old 30th November 2012, 12:57 AM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Iain, Ive been rereading Briggs, and other notes concerning the strange attribution by him concerning 'Hausa' type hilts and swords, naturally written in the context of his landmark work on Tuareg swords and daggers. It seems he regards these swords which are clearly kaskara, as within the collective 'takouba' group and implies that Hausa and Mandingo used them.

It is interesting that while he mentions the Sudan, and Ahaggar trade with northern central areas there (p.37), he does not note these swords coming from there. The Mandingo attribution is even more curious as they are known for the guardless sabres which correspond in degree to the form of takouba with curved blade called aljuinar (as per Lee Jones research).

I have understood that the Hausa were blacksmiths, but they were also keen merchants, which accounts for thier language being the lingua francia of wide areas of the Sahara. In northern Nigerian regions as I understand, the Hausa and Fulani are regarded very much as the same tribal entity, with undoubtedly certain qualifications however. Since the Fulani were known users of the takouba, it seems odd that the obviously different sword type would be assumed to be Hausa.

The thuluth seems to me most likely to be with Mamluk origins, as they are most known for thier use of this type of Islamic script. Since they were situated in Sennar nominally after thier flight from Egypt and later decimated by incursions by Mohammed Ali, it seems thier influence on this decoration of blades might be likely there. The fact that many German and other blades entered there via Suakin would have provided good numbers of blades which may have been then decorated accordingly.
This was a trade center which certainly may have provided swords which would have entered westward caravans.

As mentioned, this kaskara with brass guard is remarkably similar to the one I have, and this seems to be of a typing that very well might even predate the Mahdist period with these swords of Sennar. Regarding these curious stamps with the name Louis and the Roman numerals, I would suggest that perhaps this sword may have been collected and entered the community in earlier years. In those times there was ever the proclivity of medieval associations with these swords, as described by Oakeshott , and 'industrious' persons tried to pass these off as medieval. These stamps on the guard may have been from a less than well informed 'artisan' trying to allude to these kinds of associations.

Regihis, most interesting entry on this Ajami script and the great example, thank you so much!!!

All the best,
Jim