View Single Post
Old 18th December 2016, 01:07 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default What am i missing ...

I fully understand your surprise at my assumption that the barrel side block is not for lodging a bayonet but, i didn't think i would have to doubt the description of this rifle by a well credited house, which reads as follows:

A .700 CALIBRE SWISS PERCUSSION TARGET RIFLE BY FRERES SIBER A LAUSANNE, NO. 133, CIRCA 1845 with heavy octagonal twist multi-groove rifled barrel fitted with adjustable back-sight and with a block on the right of the muzzle for a windage-adjustable fore-sight, engraved breech with an eagle above a numbered oval, case-hardened tang, signed case-hardened flush-fitting lock, set trigger, highly figured walnut full stock, iron mounts comprising spurred butt-plate, trigger-guard, three ramrod-pipes, the rear extending to form a rest beneath the stock, and two sling swivels (patinated), two vacant German silver escutcheons, horn fore-end cap, and horn-tipped ramrod 89.0 cm; 35 in barrel The brothers Jean Frédéric and Jean François Charles Siber are recorded working together in Lausanne circa 1845.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote