View Single Post
Old 20th May 2012, 02:33 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you all guys for the nice words.
I am taking some time to post technical data as, instead of one sword, i ended up acquiring two of them and have not yet installed nor took all measurements and pictures.
Coming back to the one discussed here, Jim, i don't feel comfortable associating the pommel with the examples shown by Norman; i was actualy expecting you to do that for me ... and all interested . It is a plain pommel, like most seen in cup hilt swords. No grooves, no decoration, just as you see it in the pictures which i will try, as said, improve soon.
I can not deny the blade being from Solingen. But i beleive the words VIVA PORTUGAL were applied in Portugal and not a 'marketing' detail made by the (German?) sword maker. Particularly the words are engraved (punched) inside the short blade grooves, which they fully occupy, whereas one can discern some faded decoration on the edges, with the same extension as the grooves.
So sorry Mark. The museum guard made me swear i don't transmit the loose window secret; i would be loosing bat and ball.
I am not the right guy to tell you how and what should be done with wire re-wraping; don't have those skills. Eventually my grips have either original wiring or very well executed re-wiring; no need for adventures. I guess that, if the recent wiring is a decent work, there are easy ways to put some age on them; there are members here whom know what to do ... be it iron, brass or copper.
Thank you for coming in Chris. I just took a little time to check that the blade has both sides progressively sharpened (not razor) in all extension, except for the tiny forte.
The point of balance is 11 cms from quillons, the blade length is 83 cms. with a width of 23 m/m, as already stated. The quillons extension is 30 cms. The cup bowl measures 14 cms. The sword weighs 865 grams.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote