View Single Post
Old 26th May 2017, 05:52 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A padlock ... and a challenge

I realize this old padlock is not an 'universal' model but made to lock something specific.
And why:
The key is composed of a 'stylized' bow, a cilindrical mid-section and a hollow screw with a left-handed thread. When we plug the screw and turn it to its end, its hollow embraces an internal square tapered rod, pushing it until it enters the shackle toe, locking the device.
Intriguing is the shackle clearance, which seems to get completion with its arch shaped body counter part, as to restrain something specific; which arch is shaped in a manner that leaves 'spare' space between it and the shackle legs, for no apparent reason ... unless again for specific means.
The seller i bought it from was told this is a thumbs cuff, but i told him he has surely been misinformed.
There are traces of metal both in the cilinder and in the bow; i would say gold, not brass. The figure inside the bow, reminds me of some symbol; i just dont figure out which. This strange padlock sure has a considerable age; i would venture 18th century ... until corrected.
Have you Gentlemen ever seen something similar ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote