View Single Post
Old 1st February 2009, 01:03 AM   #11
Atlantia

Making Wootz?
Whoa!
I guess like all of us I've got some very pretty modern 'damascus' pattern welded stuff, I didn't even know that anyone was making new wootz.

Clearly this is an area I need a better understanding of.
When I first noticed some lines in the blade and realised they were not left by shaping polishing etc, I was kinda excited as I thought it might be something interesting, but the results of the lemon were not what I expected at all.

Not to mention baffling!

If we assume its not much older than early 20th, then if it was made in India, I'd have expected just plain steel.
Wouldn't Nepal be more like Tibet if they were going to use a folding technique, wouldn't it look much more obvious like hair-pin?

I'd love to see some examples of this techniqe in other blades to give me more of a 'context' for it, and pin its location too.

I can't help but think (even though I like the dagger) that if its 'sham' then isn't it in the wrong place and isn't it a lot of effort for a knife to sell to some English 'invader'.
Similarly, if its folded/pattern welded then its by far the closest and finest I've seen, not a 'style' I'm familiar with in the context of India/Nepal and why would they bother on a brass mounted knife, again to sell to a foreigner?
Oh, and don't forget, a knife in emulation of the western bowie style?

I am certainly greatful to you guys for helping, and debating its origins!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote