Thread: Bolo Re-Hash
View Single Post
Old 15th October 2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Indianajones

Salamat po Bankaya!
the very interesting info you wrote is exactly the reason why am a member of this forum. You do seem to know a lot. Personally am actually more an expert on igorot-tribes.
Cant remember I ever heard of the tribe Waray waray before, so thats quite intreguing. It may be sure you are wright about Bicol swords more likely to have metal ferrules at the handle. As I do know a bit about Visayan tribes n cultures as well I thought to place it there as it didnt look to be from the usual island-swords one sees (like the talibongs you mention).

Have thought hard about where I/we/one could perhaps find a similar example sword as from Robert or a pic of a tribesman wearing one, but really cannot think of a source (not in Krieger, not in pics of Spanish museums, not in National Geogr.Worcester example etc). Hmm no wonder I didnt know about the Waray! But it is still in my mind and am trying hard to find such a pic.

b.t.w. isnt 'bankaya' the name of one of those boats one uses with an attached sidepole? Ah mis the Philippines . . . .
Thanks so much for sharing your info.
Wouter
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote