View Single Post
Old 15th May 2009, 03:06 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Austin,
Its good to have you posting here, and thank you for posting this interesting Arabian sa'if. The blade does seem to have European character but I'm not sure it is actually a trade blade from there. The markings are rather crude interpretations of the typically seen 'cabbalistic' markings often seen on the trade blades which entered the North African and Arabian sphere in the Red Sea trade, probably native applied.
I think your Omani assessment is well placed, as the rounded tip on the blade is indeed characteristic of the 'kattara', while the hilt is similar essentially to those of the sa'if forms to the west (as well as the scabbard throat style receiving the langet). These hilts are expected more in end of 19th to early years of the 20th in Yemen and possibly Hadramaut.
It really is difficult to say exactly as Arab trade clearly diffused these swords widely, but I think that Oman is likely for the mounts. They seem to have favored the standard double ring scabbard mounts on one side, while the Yemeni and Hadramaut seemed to favor the baldric type mounts with rings on either side of the scabbard throat.

A very nice S. Arabian sa'if, probably early 20th century. Fascinating history reflected in these swords and these regions then.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote