View Single Post
Old 31st July 2019, 09:33 AM   #40
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
Thanks for posting this image! Would you happen to know approximately what year the interior and its decoration were installed? I'm trying to pin a date on the scene itself, the costumes look a couple of centuries more recent than medieval.

No big deal in and of itself -- even if it's 18th cent. the important thing is that it helps show the consistency of the basic boar spear concept across borders and centuries. The 15th cent, spear attributed to Prince Boris Aleksandrovich (Moscow Kremlin inv.no. 5867) would not, save for superficial decoration on its socket, be out of place among the modern piggy pokers sold in some gun shops catering to hunters in Germany and Poland. If it works, don't muck with it...
Kalmar Castle has origins from the 12thC and is situated on Sweden’s Baltic coast. There were a lot of Germans living there and I think it was a Hanseatic city at some time? The castle was expanded and modernized over the centuries due to its strategic location. This particular hunting scene is in the King’s Chamber of Swedish king Erik XIV and the ceiling is dated 1562 on the panels. It seems to me that the costumes and weapons used are compatible with that date, certainly not 18thC. The room was renovated in the mid 19thC.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote