View Single Post
Old 15th November 2018, 03:38 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Now that I see the detail of the blade and hilt (beautifully photographed BTW!) I very much agree this is likely for a British officer of the Raj. Note the pavilion with flags and the cannon (I always think of the movie "The Far Pavilions" which was about the Raj).
Good point about the Star of Solomon at the forte, which indeed is seen on Wilkinson's swords in the same location as a proof slug surround, but this interpretation is not meant as a deception.
This symbol was primarily a symbol of strength and represents interlocking triangles (as I was told by Wilkinson-Latham years ago).
The use of this symbol is known in Muslim context very well, and is seen on some Arab swords, and here is likely placed similarly with plausibly Mughal connotation.

It seems that the reversed quillon terminals and guard may suggest an officers saber, perhaps an equerry, if I can recall Robson (which I don't have on hand at the moment).

That French scabbard is a find in itself, and with the values of these early French sabres would be most desirable to a collector looking for a match to one without scabbard (often bring backs from the field) .

Also, as I mentioned there were outfitters in India for military items and often specifically for officers. The deep relief scenes as seen on this blade recalls this style used on Indian tulwars and shamshir with scenes of the hunt and animals etc. and termed shikargh.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 15th November 2018 at 04:01 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote