View Single Post
Old 14th November 2018, 11:17 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian1
Hello from Belgium, to all members,
Yesterday, in a French auction room I noticed the passage of that seems to be an British sword of the type looked like a model 1831 but I did not know this type of deep carving on the blade, or this type of guard in the shape of S. In addition I did not know if there were badges with a rose surrounded by laurel on the British sword guard.
It was accompanied by a "scarce" Napoleonic scabbard for a An IX sword, maybe it is what made this lot interesting, except if the English sword seems a good model 1831 for you.

Thank you for your opinions and nice afternoon to all

Nice sabre Belgian!

After the Napoleonic campaigns in Egypt, both French and British forces were enthralled with the curved sabres of the Mamluk warriors. The influence of exotica extended to both England and the Continent, and officers began to adopt these kinds of 'pistol grip' (Ottoman) hilts on curved sabres.

The British M1831 sabres for general and staff officers was a regulation pattern but these swords were well in use by both French and British officers.

The decorative detail in the hilt may offer clues as to what context this sword was intended, also the deep relief on the blade which you say is carved. The British versions seem to have been typically acid etched and had makers names (one I had was to Manton & Co. Calcutta) and usually had ivory hilts.

I suspect this one is French, which may account for the accompanying scabbard, but I do not have the French pattern and military references, often thry can be found online ,I would search under French mameluke sabres.

These are very attractive and desirable sabres, and I would mention that the French military even established Mamluk units, and officers of these were of course French.

Perhaps someone out there better acquainted with French military swords might have more specific details.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote