View Single Post
Old 19th October 2017, 01:26 AM   #7
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
You bet!
In my opinion most of these thuluth covered weapons were either produced or imported and decorated at Omdurman during the Khalifa's time (1885-98). These thuluth (script) etchings were essentially couplets which were repetitive into an almost Arabesque motif as an invocation/imbuement.
There are accounts of the considerable weaponry retrieved at Omdurman, many with such decoration as well as crocodile and lizard skin (as on your hilt) mounts.

In many cases these weapons were to the chiefs or key figures in the many slave oriented elements of these forces, conscripted in other regions and often using their favored weapon forms. The throwing knives and other unusual forms not indigenous to Sudan are often among these.

The polearms with huge (almost ace of spades looking) blade covered in thuluth were often used by these key figures in units for formation of troops, much like a unit guidon, and termed 'alem'.
This is extremely interesting Jim , one never stops learning . Much appreciated . I saw many interesting examples last year at the Topkapi Palace museum of alem , yet did not make the Sudan connection at the time ... but now you have pointed this out , it makes sense of some of the items in my collection thus decorated and yet clearly not usable as weapons .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote