View Single Post
Old 11th February 2013, 03:24 PM   #8
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thumbs up SOLVED

Surely a word started by CHAN didn't make much sense.
Only that the C turned out to be a O and there was another letter before that ... although almost completely faded.
But common sense and a little reasoning made me figure out that this is the name of King Dom Joćo in period German lettering; IOHANES.
On the other side of the blade, also the I for Ihn Solingen is completely faded but, the (only) partialy faded H helped me discern the right phrase.
My only problem is that we had two Kings with the same name within a period close enough to put the doubt on which it was. Although Dom Joćo VI was firstly Regent (his Queen mother was mentally ill) and later King between 1799 and 1826, the period covering this sword model, i am more inclined for prior King Dom Joćo V, who reigned between 1706-1750. As we may see documented, Military Officers, having to purchase the swords by themselves, often used their ancestors blades, both for economical as for sentimental reasons. It is therefore my conviction that this is a XVIII century blade ... until further notice .
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote