View Single Post
Old 18th February 2023, 06:48 PM   #2
Nihl

Hi qusko,

Could you explain what you mean by "possible"? I'm not trying to be a pedant here; your own example shows that yes, it is possible.

If you mean to ask whether this blade-hilt combination was possible historically, then the answer is still yes, there's no reason why it wouldn't be. There was plenty of turkish influence and cultural exchange happening in various parts of India, most notably in the deccan, so it's entirely plausible kilij/pala blades ended up in India and were mounted in Indian hilts. In terms of whether or not there are many known surviving tulwars that have turkish blades, I'll admit that your posted example is one of the few that I've seen (with a genuine turkish blade anyways). As such, it seems appropriate to classify this combination as an uncommon one.

It's also worth noting that your example seems to be a 19th century creation. The blade might date to the late 18th century (although I'm no expert on turkish blades, so someone else on the forum can probably date it better), but the hilt and scabbard are absolutely 19th century in style. This isn't to say that this is an illegitimate mating, but just that it's entirely possible this sword was assembled for a European tourist to buy, rather than a warrior to proudly carry or wield in battle.

Also (one last thing to note), functionally speaking it's a good combination. A tulwar hilt would only help the performance of such a style of blade, given the draw cut-centric style of cutting that a tulwar hilt reinforces.
Nihl is offline   Reply With Quote