View Single Post
Old 25th October 2011, 09:33 PM   #101
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
The use of European trade blades ranged from al-Sham to Yemen. Denial of it is refuted by material evidence and "natural" evidence (lack of steel manufacturers ment expensive local swords. Buying european blades was the cheapest option)

Followers of Imam Abdulwahab for example didnt have any problem using Lion stamped blades or bu-askiri (clauberg) stamped blades. I highly doubt they had the luxury to have a problem :-)
Salaams, I agree that European trade blades are all over the peninsular..and Africa, The Red Sea etc In the form of Sayf styles..and straight swords in Africa especially Ethiopia etc etc. ~ Where I disagree is on the straight Omani Kattara, long, flexible weapons which I have recently identified as from Ras al Khaimah. The Shihuh have been in blade making for generations though I thought they were only knife makers.

Most, indeed all, of the RAK Blade marks are in fact Arabian or derived from close by(Crown from Victorian India). Stars and Moon are Arabian, Lion is Arabian and has "God is Great" on the underbelly. I would appreciate you having a look at that lion (at #98 photo 2.) as I thought I was imagining the wording in the Lions belly !
Your input is much appreciated.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 26th October 2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: corrections
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote