View Single Post
Old 30th October 2008, 01:23 PM   #16
Chris Evans

Hi Gonzalo,

1. Re Slaughtering Wild Cattle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo G
I´m sorry to say this, but your spanish seems to be not good enough. On the page 11, Domenech mentions
I never claimed that my Spanish was perfect, though your English appears to be even worse. I referred you to pages 11 and 111, which you obviously did not. As you haven't, I include here the picture that shows how a beast is brought down with a knife. Domenech describes both the methods with the half moon spear and the knife.

2. Re Use of Facons:

From Dagas De Plata pg 61:

Agricultural labourers (peons) shouldn't be allowed a facón, since it’s useless for work. They must use a knife (cuchillo), and keep it well sharpenned. This precaution could save their lives from the dangers inherent to their job, or that of a fellow worker.” From “Instrucción al Estanciero” by Jose Hernadez (a book filled with advice for land owners, published in 1882) who fought in the civil wars and also against Uruguay. He was intimately familiar with life in rural Argentina and wrote the celebrated story of the gaucho Martín Fierro,

So rather than go on with a dialogue that is becoming too broad and leading nowhere, I rest my case on the above.

3. This thread is about identifying Robert's knife and we are still waiting for pictures or a link to a knife that closely resembles it and is positively known to have been made in Argentina in the 1940-60 period. Until you provide us with such proof, I am afraid that all we are doing is guessing. And please do note that I am not saying that the knife in question wasn't made there, only that we don't know, though I do question the time frame suggested.

3.1 If the hand guard was indeed forged, as you suggest, then the dies would have been used to make many more and a number of such guards would have to be still in circulation on Argentinean knives, as 1940-60 wasn't that long ago. Shouldn't be hard to find on. Perhaps you can put it out one that Argentinean forum and see what they think.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images

Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote