View Single Post
Old 24th October 2008, 09:32 PM   #9
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Hallo Amuk,

Are you saying that it was Dutch local recruits/mercenaries who modified these klewangs into the "machette shape" and this was not done by the Japanese?
Hullo Bill,

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.
First of all, you must realise that the Dutch colonial forces had foreign soldiers fighting for them even in the Atjeh conflicts. First, were the Ugandans, I think, (Africans,anyway), followed by people from the Soelawesi area, the Madoera area and Djawa.
Traditionally, people from Noesantara (Malay Archipelago) had their important/personal implements (as opposed to day-to-day-use ones) custom-made to suit the user's personal characteristics. It was unusual for someone to pick one up at the market,except in an emergency. With the varying builds and heights of these people ( unusual to be above 5'7''), the standard-issue klewang would have been wieldy and cumbersome to use, especially in traditional combat. Therefore, the practical modification.
As for the Japanese, even the Soenda, at the time, referred to them as "Oerang Kate" (short people). No doubt many of them faced similar problems with the klewang.
I myself differentiate between my personal instruments and my collection.

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote