View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2021, 01:28 AM   #26
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCanada42
Thanks, Tvv for the encouragement in thinking the symbols have meaning.
Thank you Jim for Putting together all this great knowledge. I am still interested and researching these triple fuller blades seen as imports.

Jim, it is interesting u mentioned these symbols would appear on the local textiles, because in researching another African symbol I did find it in textiles .
these "Berber" symbols, I find in their Henna body paint, and i have found similarity to Voodoo Veves which I find interesting. particularly the marking on my swords scabbard,- I have so many interpretations I wouldn't know where to start. On my scabbards symbol, the borders are highlighted with border lines which I didn't include in my drawing depiction. after cleaning that piece the border lines around the bordering scroll symbols are more visible. These bordering scrolling symbols ,should also have symbolic name & meaning,(like snake skeleton etc..) like what Tvv said about the floral scrolling depictions.

also I noticed this much earlier & didnt pay it much notice, but it is worth sharing, there is a name and date on the scabbard, the name is not legible anymore, (its English in cursive,) and the date 1891
You bet Joe, Im glad I could add something useful, and welcome the opportunity to learn more on these aspects of these weapons.
Actually, while many of these symbols, motifs and decorations exist in remarkable similarity throughout the vast Berber sphere, they may have differing connotation somewhat depending on the regions and tribal groups.

With the West African symbols from the Vodun religion, many of these, which could have some representation in degree from Berber symbols, have indeed turned up in the 'Voodoo' veves. These Caribbean symbols derive from the Catholic Faith combined with Vodun becoming Santeria.

Naturally all of these are represented throughout the material culture of all these groups in many ways. What is often surprising is that the subject of symbols and markings of these kinds in ethnographic weapons are seldom, if ever, touched on in any depth. The interpretation of these is so highly subjective and deeply arcane that few wish to enter these areas.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote