View Single Post
Old 10th February 2021, 03:57 PM   #64
rickystl

Interesting discussion on this pistol. Here is one that I own. The stock finish is almost completely worn off. Looks like someone was going to refinish it but never completed. But there is no evidence of later sanding. Also, it appears the lock and barrel were chemically cleaned sometime in the past.

I've always known this pistol by it's generic name of Belgium Navel Pistol, in use from about 1810 to 1835. I recall reading somewhere that this pistol was made by the thousands and sold everywhere. That Bannerman's early catalog had surplus still for sale probably attests to the quantity made.

Interesting the lack of a ramrod provision. My guess is that a separate loading rod suspended from a leather cord around the neck, was the thinking behind the pistol's design. But I may be wrong in that I've never seen what you might call a "European" type standardized loading rod for these pistols. Much like most of the pistols carried by troops in the Ottoman Empire. Combined with the use of pre-formed paper cartridges, re-loading is very quick. I can actually confirm this from a trial I did firing my pistol using this method. The separate rod around the neck is even more convenient than the later captured type ramrod.
On the other hand, as mentioned above, all of these pistols aboard a ship may have been loaded at the same time and then fired once during a ship-to-ship battle, and then used as a club or parrying piece.
The pistol is very robustly made. The front barrel wedge (versus a pin) is especially convenient. Just about every example I've seen is still, or can be easily returned to shooting condition today.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote