View Single Post
Old 4th February 2021, 05:39 AM   #10
M ELEY

Thank you for these great pics, Jim. I love that pistol with the butt cap you posted! As noted, I have seen multiple examples all listed as 'naval', which makes sense. I had a look at that mark and I'm almost 100% positive that it is a V and not a W under the crown. British private purchase, I'm assuming. British ships at this time were forming privateer vessels to attack both French (Napoleonic Wars) and American (War of 1812) shipping. Likewise, English ships needed defense against enemy privateers. Napoleon had already taken Denmark and even that nation had pirates out attacking English shipping!!

Some questions still remain, however. If Leige (Belgium) was the maker, could they still be selling to the Brits against Napoleonic France? Who controlled Belgium at the time? Would they be independent contractors and sell "to the enemy" anyway, much as some English cutlers sold to the colonists during the Revolution?

Here are some Leige markings, the earliest resembling a candlestick? Mine appears of the dating 1810. Of course, if this pistol was made after those two conflicts, it still would have been of use to 'discourage mutinies', or defend a frigate, tea clipper, etc, from hostiles in the ports of Indonesia, South Seas, etc.
Attached Images

M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote