View Single Post
Old 26th August 2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Silver Shield

Default Casting ?

I have not read a paper of casting this early ? do you know the author? and Paper? I have look at the open surfaces and seen no micro-porosity under magnification on any exposed surfaces as would be expected in melted or " cast" and the And since I'm not as well versed as I'd like , and slightly dull of mind , I would make a few comments . First slag does not necessarily mean casting but certainly would indicate melting . Second have moulds or patterns been found ? This piece as my comments indicated is heavily corroded , its not flaws in a " Casting " and the Northwestern Indians for one made even large Knifes and such where made from copper masses by hammering . Also this Object is centrally swollen and the distal end has no evidence of percussion on its surviving surfaces nor on the faces around it , the swelling alone would not make sense as a " Chisel" but would and it does as a hand axe. As far as dates we constantly back date as we see how these late stone age humans where amazingly complicated in their technologies .I mainly put this piece on as a curiosity, so members can think back to the beginnings of these wonderful weapons and pieces of armour .

Last edited by Silver Shield; 26th August 2016 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Silver Shield is offline   Reply With Quote