View Single Post
Old 11th January 2018, 10:21 AM   #21
Shieh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
David;

The tok chu style pics you showed in #7 are almost certainly a very recent copies of tok chu blade and made in kelantan... they are easily found on sales here and we can even commission keris makers to make to whatever size you like. they show typical tok chu archetype but some keris 'esperts' over here claim there are at least a few more tok chu style/dhapur which to me look very different from this classic type.

Shieh

Welcome to the forum!
Yes that's che Gu nasir i mean ... a silat teacher from kelantan and one of the keris experts that sometimes are asked to be keris judge in keris competitions.. A rather moody character prone to giving philosophical advice and criticisms to his students on fb postings!

I did show this blade to him in private message and his comments is rather surprising and I'm in no way able to agree or contradict him because I simply don't know enough. Here's the translation of his comment:

" I am of the opinion that it is Alang Petani. To me this keris (type) is earlier than pandai saras. Many people disagree with me but i feel that this is the early design of keris patani, kelantan and pahang."
Good evening!

I know even less to state anything here regarding Chekgu Nasir's opinion of the blade in discussion. However, it runs counter to my impression of 'Alang Patani', which to my impression, Alang blades has always been narrow in relation to its width, and possess somewhat simpler dapur. To me, CG Nasir's opinion opens up an entire path of discovery on the Tok Chu form, an interesting prospect indeed. The challenge of this is that there is almost no old/original artifacts or documentation to substantiate, apart from anecdotal sources IMVHO. I stand corrected and am keen to learn more.
Shieh is offline   Reply With Quote