View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2016, 03:35 PM   #5
rickystl

Hi Norman

I have no idea the relevence of the serpent. It would be great if someone can translate any of the letters or markings. Unless made as a pair, you never see any two Balkan style pistols look alike. The "general" style of these pistols seem to follow the French pattern of the first half of the 18th Century. But the carving, engraving, and decoration usually follow a generic pattern. This was probably done so as to attract a wide variety of prospective customers, without offending any religious sensibilities or tastes. Also, these pistols are usually unsigned, without a makers mark. This is likely so that the pistol could not be traced back to any specific gunshop since they were sold to friend and foe alike. LOL I too like the iron mounted guns. I think they are the most attractive. Especially if tastefully decorated with brass or silver, such as this one. The barrel on this one is especially attractive. The extra wide breech end quickly tapering and fading to round. I would not be surprised if the barrel was European made. The pistol is extra nice. Wish I had seen it first. LOL
Question: Is the ramrod full length, about the same as the barrel length? Or is it shorter ?

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote