View Single Post
Old 9th June 2005, 04:02 AM   #29
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is an extremely interesting piece and I responded on it on SFI, not actually realizing I had linked over I agree very much with the aesthetic influence of Arabian saifs, which include by association the Moroccan 'nimchas', however I am actually thinking more of those of the Yemen and Hadhramaut. The rather hexagonal shape of the grip seems remininscent of these (which Dr.Elgood notes were often manufactured in Hyderabad ). In my post on SFI , I had noted the shape of the knuckleguard as well as the raised nock on the inside of the grip as suggesting the Ceylonese kastane, however in reading the posts on this thread and upon reconsidering ,I tend to agree with the tulwar associated shape more. With this I am inclined more toward the Northwest Frontier as has been suggested on this thread than my original inclination toward the south.

It seems that many of the weapons of India have atavistic inclinations, that is they seem to be interpretations of venerable iconography and representations of ancient weapons in various art. In this case this weapon seems remarkably like closed hilt examples of the Spanish kopis (evolved from the falcata) as shown in "Swords and Hilt Weapons" p.22. This same type closed or voided hilt is also reminiscent of the medieval European dusack which was essentially a heavy, curved blade with opening for the hand to grip the piece.
While it is uncertain exactly how such classical weapons might have influenced this apparant interpretation , it is known that often such representation does occur in many ethnographic weapons in varying degrees .
Another feature that suggests the northern regions of India, in reviewing the additional illustrations, is what appears semi-circle sickle marks along the back edge of the blade. This motif, occurs on some Indian weapons blades as motif in this manner, and is also found on some blades in the Caucusus, where trade with these regions was well established.

This heavy, chopping weapon seems most unusual, and does seem related in degree to the Khyber 'Salawar Yataghan' previously noted in the manner it is hilted.

I didn't notice the peacock in the motif had 4 legs !! But despite that, regarding the peacock I thought the Mughals sort of liked them....and the Rajputs used Peacock plumage as sort of insignia from what I understand.

This is really an unusual variant Andy!! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote