View Single Post
Old 28th March 2023, 08:36 PM   #10
kai

Hello Yves,

Thanks for your kind offer!

Quote:
1) scabbard: evenly-rounded, lentil-like cross section;

2) it is very much possible to have these carvers do any design (before the 20th century, etc). Just send some pics and they will do their best. That's where I got the designs for the 3 barungs.
While the carving certainly exhibits good skill, I beg to differ regarding the final product:
  • The hilt and scabbard of #2 are clearly based on 20th century style (well after the turn of the century, indeed).
  • While #1 is based on 19th century construction, the carving details are off, I'm afraid.

Really sticking to traditional designs may well be possible. However, it's not easy adapting to the flow of lines of several cultures and switch between them upon request. Most likely it will need serious efforts to gain experience and honing skills by fine-tuning design in several iterations. Such a project will need the willingness to fund a number of attempts as well as the willingness to discuss & learn.

I'm happy to provide advice and am looking forward to discussing results of such attempts. The ergonomics of the old styles feel so much nicer!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote