View Single Post
Old 29th January 2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Terry,
Amazing and fascinating example! Glad you got it and thank you for sharing it here.
I would not have suspected this to be U.S. but for the mention of these key figures names you have noted, and would have thought this a British sword.
Naturally in the time period of this sword however, British makers were profound suppliers to the US. and brings to mind some current affairs of the early years of the 19th c.

The term 'pistol grip' typically refers to the bulbous pommel of the Ottoman swords kilij, pala and that star on the pommel recalls some similar 'Eastern or Oriental' motif. This may have some perhaps Masonic connotation .
In 1804 the U.S had its first foreign engagement in North Africa, where the Marines victoriously subdued 'Barbary pirates'. In this encounter, the Ottoman 'scimitar' became known, while in Egypt these same type sabres (actually kilij and pala) were encountered by British and French forces against the fabled Mamluks.

Soon, these 'Oriental' sabres became 'the' fashion among officers of France, England and America, eventually becoming regulation patterns for officers dress swords, which became known as 'mameluke swords'.

I would suspect this influence is seen in the hilt of this interesting sword which may have served as a commemorative, presentation or diplomatic gift. More research will of course say more, and as always I look forward to Glen's comments .

Returning to the Masonic potential, the five point star is also found in Masonic symbolism, but known as well in Morocco. The baldric type carry rings on the scabbard (along with the Ottoman style pommel) suggest distinct associations to the Maghreb, which includes Moroccan and Algerian coastal regions adding to the potential for diplomatic nature The acanthus type quillon terminals are neo classic features as often seen in Federal period.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote