View Single Post
Old 4th April 2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancar
Thank you Jim and İbrahim for your answers.

I made further inquiries on other sword related forums and the general idea about this saber is that it is a German-made trade blade, possibly solingen, with a Prussian 1811 blücher version of the 1796 hilt. Three fullered trade blade is possibly from 18th century and later slightly reshaped in the tip to match the 1796 pattern and rehilted with 1811 blücher hilt.

This saber is bought from a flea market in İstanbul. So I deduce this might be an 18th century Prussian blade that was sold to Ottoman army around early 1900s. You can find a lot of 18th to 20th century European military blades from Europe in Istanbul antique shops.

Salaams Sancar,
Istanbul...That is quite interesting...as I am certain this blade originates in Germany but appears common on various hilts from Yemen etc ...Sanaa is where I many were rehilted. ...which is also no doubt within the range of Istanbul souk purchasing...

To give you examples of similar blades collected by Omani souk owners from Yemeni sources...see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=omani+swords in particular the last photo ..

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote