View Single Post
Old 9th January 2007, 02:22 AM   #7
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayanMirza
Thank you for the reference to the other post, I'd read part of that looong ago and completely forgot! It has a wealth of info!

Unfortunately, I don't have any shamshir curvier than that (I only have 2, but that' ain't bad for a 20 year-old ). I think the curvier blades would only ever use hook thrusts as a riposte to the face after a parry, but again, until someone finds a manuscript, that's my own conjecture.

I found this while reading:

WOW! TOTALLY wrong. Medieval manuscripts from the Middle East exist on every topic, from medicine to combat, and preserved many writings of Greek and Roman authors that had long since been destroyed in Europe. I know there are many miniatures and scrolls on swordwork extant in Iran, the trouble is I have no access to them (yet!). That's why I'm hoping someone on this forum may have a photo or copy of one. Long shot, but worth a try.

Thanks again, Andrew! That thread's a wealth of info--I've bookmarked it and will certainly read and reread it as long as I have shamshirs!
Nice to be cited... Thanks.
What I said, that "I was unaware". If such manuals exist, that would be an important find.
Rivkin found a great book by Elashvili "Khevsur fencing" (published in early 1950s). They employed moderately-curved swords with rounded points, because they believed there was was no effective way to thrust with them. The book gives remarkably detailed analysis of fencing moves using a sword/buckler combination. This book was made possible by the fact that Khevsurs were very isolated and practiced traditional ways of life well into the 20th century. I doubt similar isolates exist in many places. Relying on stylized and static miniatures would be very misleading. Unless one finds a detailed manual, all our knowledge on Persian or Turkish swordplay techniques will be an exercise in fantasy.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote