View Single Post
Old 9th January 2007, 12:06 AM   #1
ShayanMirza

Lightbulb Shamshir Hooking Thrust?

I've read on these forums that shamshirs are unable by design to perform the hooking thrust. However, my martial arts instructor (32 years studying and teaching professionally) demonstrated hooking thrusts with my shamshir that were quick and powerful, fully and forever convincing me of their plausible use. Though obviously this doesn't necessarily mean they were used, it proved to me that they certainly could have been.
And finally, another poster on SFI said this:

Quote:
My good friend Mushtaq Ali has done a fair bit of travelling picking up martial arts from Indonesia to Turkey. That included learning how to use a number of traditional weapons such as the shamshir, yataghan, bow, lance and mace. The shamshir technique he's taught me so far includes quite a few hooking thrusts. They really come into their own if you're using a sword and buckler.
-Todd Ellner
Here are my own laughable yet perhaps germaine attempts at hooking thrusts:
Youtube shamshir video

My questions are two:

1) Where did the assertion that hooking thrusts with the shamshir are impossible originate?

2) Is there any evidence in contemporary miniatures or sword manuals to verify that they were indeed used?

As a tangent to #2, are any of the miniature paintings or sword manuals viewable online or available to view without travelling across the world?

Last edited by ShayanMirza; 9th January 2007 at 12:39 AM.
ShayanMirza is offline   Reply With Quote