View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2006, 09:49 AM   #1
pbinns

Default Hello Everyone, new to the board

I am very interested in dark age european weaponry, and, prefer the approach you guys seem to be taking in studying it alongside the extant ethnographic blades of the world, which of course are a living tradition in some places. In other countries where the manufacture of such is endangered any patronage by supporting the crafts man by a healthy collectors demand for the object must only keep the craft traditions of authentic manufacture alive.

As a European historical enthusiast, I can only state that the study and appreciation of authentic hand smithed blades from wherever in the world is far superior than purchasing or making homogenous modern steel stock removed swords of a viking/saxon pattern.In short you will learn a great deal more about the original sword via this route.

I am a smith doing pattern welded herringbone and blodida cored blades and wanted to pick the brains of the members here regarding patterns for the smaller items like seaxs and spearheads. Does anyone know of good corroded examples in their local museums (which show the pattern) or examples that have been x rayed ? In England local museums just dont do this, whereas in Germany, for example it is done frequently.

any help would be very greatly appreciated.seasons greetings to you all regards paul.
pbinns is offline   Reply With Quote