View Single Post
Old 29th April 2005, 10:19 PM   #113
Kiai Carita

[QUOTE=nechesh]No Kiai, it doesn't particularly please me that you have no real evidence for your statements. It was my sincere hope you did, for who among us would not want to believe that we might own a keris with meteoric pamor? The difficulty that arises here is one of academic study. And no, it is not the "simple academic answer" that the keris was invented by the gods and brought to Jawa by Aji Saka. This is merely a legend. Myths, legends, stories and conjecture can help to point us in directions for our study, but real evidence is needed if we are to prove our case.

Is not the existence of 'nggrayang raga', 'ngraga sukma', and 'gerak nurani' ample evidence that a Mpu would be able to find rare meteorite on the ground? And what is a percentage value compared to all the bodies in the heavens?

There is a martial arts school in Yogya called Merpati Putih and one of their specialities is to be able to see colour and form blindfolded. It is only a step further to be able to find peices of meteorite. When the first Sultan of Yogyakarta was young he would often go to a deep river in the middle of the night and chuck his diamond ring in to the dark water. Then he would begin to dive to find it and he did every time because his sences were extra sensitive because of his spiritual and physical excercises. These excercises are documented in writing (i think in Serat Cebolek or Serat Cebolang) and quoted in the Javanese poet W.S Rendra's essay 'Latihan-Latihan Sri Sultan HB I di masa Remaja' (Gramedia, Mempertimbangkan Tradisi).

The Subud spiritual school is an international institution and they teach 'gerak nurani'. Why not be truly experimental and try out these excercises and see what you are able to do before you slag off the old Javanese Mpu as not being able to find meteorite for their pamor? I think that when we analyse the Java keris we need to incorporate some post-modernism and not slag off a living story as 'merely a legend'. The scientific study of the keris must move on from the racist (I am Dutch/white and so know more about the real you than you ignoramus inlander/native who eats rice every day) point of view and incorporate the views of the people who actually own the culture and the context of the keris.

Sorry Sir, I think that your scientific approach to the keris is merely legend of science, the type of science of the Colonial era where things are always what they seem and the native is always mistaken. I believe that the humanities have developed now and the 'objects' of study cannot be seen as merely objects any more if one expects to be taken as 'scientific'. Being scientific is only an other myth anyway! I would suggest that if you have a keris that comes from before the Prambanan meteorite it would have at least a bit of meteorite in it. If pamor was not from meteorite then the Dutch and the Solo and Yogya writers would have discussed the novelty of the Prambanan pamor in that it could be used to make a keris.

I also would assume that after the influx of European metals in Java the Mpu would be able to have a wider source of pamor material and would use smaller and smaller amounts of meteorite for the lesser kerises. The remnants of the Prambanan pamor is still there for all to see in the Surakarta Kraton but at least hundreds of keris have been made using the Prambanan pamor. Reason why? Most only have a smidgin of meteorite.

I suggest you Google Subud and find a school near you and practise 'gerak nurani' so as to be able to have an idea of the powers of the old Mpu.

Salam keris.
Kiai Carita is offline   Reply With Quote