View Single Post
Old 15th September 2016, 09:36 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is an extremely nice 17th century example of these hunting swords or hangers, which were not only used for hunting, but often carried by officers in various units particularly auxiliary and yeomanry among others. Naturally these are well known in naval service for their ideal size.
It must be remembered that 'hunting swords' were an extremely 'fashionable' weapon, and the reason so commonly interspersed between 'hunting' and 'military' use is that officers were of course gentry, and the hunt was a status oriented event.

As Mark has well noted, the period for this is likely as stated, 1690-1720, which places this nicely in piracy's golden age, arrrgghhhh!!!
I would note that the cherub motif is well described in the fantastic book on British military swords of this period by Stuart Mowbray.

If there is indeed a running wolf on this blade, the potential for this being a Shotley Bridge hanger is heightened as they were producing hangers in this time often using the running wolf. Solingen by this time had somewhat ceased the running wolf, curiously about the time the expatriate Shotley makers were using it.
The running wolf ended with the close of Shotley Bridge early 18thc and was not seen again until Samuel Harvey started using it with his SH initials c,1750.

The Wundes kings head was widely used in Solingen and it seems in equally wide variation as well as number (often in twos, threes and fours).

I recall a wonderful hanger I had (back in the 70s) which had the mark of Wirsberger in the blade and it was of this type with staghorn. Ironically I lost it in a trade to Fagan back then!!!! auughhh!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote